"Healthy School Makeover Contest" Public Voting is Now Open
Visit www.healthyschoolmakeover.com and vote for your favorite video. Help a school win a healthy school makeover worth $45,000
San Diego, CA, November 1, 2012 — Public voting for video entries in the nationwide Healthy School Makeover Contest is now open. The contest, managed by SPARK™, provider of the world’s most-researched and field-tested physical education program and a division of School Specialty, features a grand prize worth over $45,000 in products and services from leading organizations including Sportime, AAHPERD/NASPE, Healthy Kids Challenge, Skillastics, Healthy Lifestyle Choices, GenMove, The First Tee, Polar, and the ANNIKA Foundation.
Individuals can go online at www.healthyschoolmakeover.com to vote for their favorite video to help that school win the grand prize. Individuals are encouraged to vote once per day through November 14, 2012. By casting a vote, community members, educators, parents and students can help children in their community live healthier lives.
Following the public voting period, the videos with the highest number of votes will advance to the finalist round. During the final stage of judging, an expert panel will use the rubric featured in the Official Rules to determine the winning video. The winner will be announced on December 10, 2012 and Hall of Fame golfer Annika Sorenstam will present the grand prize to the winning school.
"The ultimate goal of the Healthy School Makeover Contest is to bring attention to the growing childhood obesity issue and the lack of funding allocated to quality Physical Education,” said Paul Rosengard, Executive Director at SPARK. “Although only one school can win, we hope this contest ‘SPARKs’ an interest in quality Physical Education in schools nationwide.”
The winning school receives:
- SPARK: SPARK Curriculum and Training package, valued at over $10,000
- Sportime: Equipment package aligned with SPARK program, valued at up to $9,000
- Healthy Kids Challenge: “Balance My Day” nutrition curriculum package and training, valued at $2,400
- AAHPERD/NASPE: Customized Lets Move in School training package valued at $4,500
- Skillastics: Two Let's Move in School Skillastics packages and training, valued at over $2,000
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices: HLC Curriculum and Training package, valued at $5,500
- GenMove: Equipment, programming and training package valued at $3,300
- The First Tee: The First Tee National School Program curriculum, training and equipment, valued at over $3,200
- Polar: Polar Active classroom pack, valued at $3,300
- ANNIKA Foundation: Annika Sorenstam to present grand prize to winner
To find more information about the contest, as well as a list of rules, visit www.healthyschoolmakeover.com.
SPARK is a collection of research-based Physical Education, After School, Early Childhood, and Coordinated School Health programs for educators serving Pre-K through 12th grade students. Since 1989, SPARK has provided educational resources, teacher training, and consultation to over 100,000 teachers and youth leaders, representing many thousands of schools, organizations, and agencies worldwide. For more information on SPARK, visit www.sparkpe.org or call 1-800-SPARK-PE.
About School Specialty
School Specialty (NASDAQ: SCHS) is a leading education company that provides innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to help educators engage and inspire students of all ages and abilities to learn. The company designs, develops, and provides PreK-12 educators with the latest and very best curriculum, supplemental learning resources, and school supplies. For more information about School Specialty, visit www.schoolspecialty.com.